Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sugar-Rimmed Margarita Cookies. Say it with me: Hell Ya!


I have no recollection of how I came across a particular website which randomly brought me to this amazing sounding recipe of Sugar-Rimmed Margarita Cookies, but I did, and I don't regret anything about it.

There was some luring of a contest, oh yes, this one. And then some cookie search thingamajig, and, well, I just don't know how it happened. What I do know is when this recipe entered my eyes and then my brain, all was right in the world.

When I scanned the ingredients list wondering what exactly would make it a "margarita" cookie, there was only one spice that I did not have. One that I had never worked with or heard of before: rubbed sage. What is rubbed sage? According to my in-depth research, it's sage.... that has been rubbed in between fingers... so to speak. I feel complete with that answer.

I even had the lime! Which is really unheard of, but for some reason I purchased a lime recently.

Without further adieu, here are the ingredients and instructions:

Makes 5 dozen or 20 (3 cookie) servings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Refrigerate Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes per batch

INGREDIENTS
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
1 teaspoon McCormick® Sage, Rubbed
1/4 cup sanding sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Tequila Glaze (recipe follows)

DIRECTIONS
1. Mix flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, lime peel, extract and sage; beat until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture until well mixed. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 9 inches long. Wrap in wax paper.

2. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

3. Preheat oven 350°F. Mix sanding sugar and kosher salt. Roll each cold dough log in mixture to coat evenly. Cut dough into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets.

4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Drizzle Glaze over cooled cookies. Let stand until glaze is set.
Tips
Tequila Glaze: 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, and 1 tablespoon each water and tequila in small bowl until smooth. (Or omit tequila and use 2 tablespoons water.)

Test Kitchen Tip: Sanding sugar, also know as decorator’s sugar, is a large crystal sugar that will not dissolve when baked. It can be found in the baking aisle of some groceries, housewares and craft stores, and online specialty stores.

I did everything as listed.  Oh! The one other thing I did not have but easily jumped out at me at the grocery store was sanding sugar. OK, so I didn't exactly get "sanding sugar" but I did get the red colored decorative sugar and someone please tell me how that is any different? (cue crickets.) Exactly.

I mixed the dough which is very much a shortbread dough. Split it in two and rolled it up in wax paper. Into the fridge it went while I picked up my son from school then drove through the drive-thru liquor store to get the smallest bottle of tequila I could find to make the glaze. You should see the games I play when I go there. I am terrified they think I'm a lush.

In recent weeks I had a cookie order for Amaretto flavor and I was out of amaretto. I had to go through the drive-thru liquor store at 8:00AM! I was so embarrassed and nervous. Quite ridiculous really. "I bake with it!" I think I yelled, in hopes they would never *ever* guess that I ever drank alcohol of any sort. (Is this my second glass of wine or third?)

After we returned home I pre-heated the oven and got the sugar ready. Found it interesting that there is a 1/4 tsp of Kosher salt mixed with the sugar. I don't question these things. Just go with it after making a mental note. This was my first experience of rolling up a dough, chilling it, then slicing and baking. It was so stinkin easy! And made such pretty slices, especially with the brilliant red sugar (and salt!) on the "rim."

Must add this major detail: the dough was so good that it was dangerous. It was the kind of dough where you wanted to leave the last scoop in the mixing bowl just so you could eat it.

No worries. When you are slicing the chilled tube of cookie dough, you very well can't use the ends, right? (I have no idea why, but they just weren't up to par so me, my husband, and one son all ate the ends.) It tastes amazing!

I just found this pretty, after slicing.
Not perfect circle. I could have tried harder.
They seemed to wake a while longer to bake than was indicated. No biggie. It takes what it takes.
I liked the little speckles that were a part of the cookies due to the grated lime peel and the rubbed sage. And the bright red looked excellent, I think.

So the recipe gives you the option of making the tequila glaze with or without the tequila. USE TEQUILA! It's amazing! When you first make the glaze, the smell is absolutely overwhelming and you wonder if you'll get a DUI driving to get the mail. But then you (naturally) lick the whisk you use to make the glaze and it is the most subtle amazing flavor. Trying the first cookie right after the glaze is applied in one experience, and waiting a few hours while the tequila evaporates some, is entirely different experience.

I literally told my husband he could not try a cookie since he was on his way into work - the smell was so strong. Wonder how often I can use that one before he catches on.


I'm not yet really good at the fancy shmancy decorating yet. One day I might be, I really don't care. The glaze in *on* the cookie. That's what matters, right?


And here they are all ready to go to my Uncle Keith's birthday party tomorrow. Where I am sure someone will make a comment on how I am "always" baking with alcohol. Where I will then go find this box of cookies and lick off all the frosting out of spite.


5 comments:

  1. Wow! These look amazing!

    I'm your new follower from FFF!

    Kristin :)
    Keenly Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the decorated sugar is probably much like 'sanding' sugar which is basically a larger crystal sugar, just not as fine as granulated so it does a nice job on cookies when used for decorating.

    I am a margarita fan; big fan. They sound so strange but mostly because of the sage but I'm taking your word and putting these on my list...cause, well, that margarita fan thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower as well from FFF.

    I love your recipes...do you ever do any gluten free? This is like window shopping for me!

    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. THanks everyone!!!

    @vinoluci, so glad you will try them. They are so interesting! Yes, make sure you do the sage. Strange but interesting.

    @momnivore, thanks for following! I think GF would sometimes come up. Although it's not something I look for all the time. However, I do intend to attempt (again) a GF version of Oh Katie! Cookies. If you find me on facebook.com/ohkatiecookies or twitter @ohkatiecookies you'll be the first to know when they are coming.

    @kristin, thanks so much for following!!! They are really really interesting. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I ran across your review. I was looking at this recipe elsewhere and just couldn't figure how the sage fit in. Figured it was a typo. Glad to know they were good. I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Show me your Cookie Crumbs so I know you've been here. Let me know your thoughts, questions, comments, tips!